Old Job

Today I went back to visit my old job at a library I had a couple years ago. I started there a sophomore in high school as a page (read: I put away all the books that people returned after they were checked in) and left for freshman year. I came back that summer, but I got upgraded to being a clerk, who does everything else in the library. Since I was the youngest employee, it was almost implied that I was the one that knew all the technology, so I was in charge of unjamming printers, fixing copiers and computers, and all sorts of other technical stuff I had to learn how to do. It was quite the learning curve. The best part was helping people find books that they would like. I soon had a group of kids coming up and talking to me about the latest book they were reading and it was awesome just to see how excited they were. They were so cute. That's probably what I miss most about that job, the people I got to help and the awesome coworkers I had. Good times. My job now is good too, but I miss all my friends from the library...counting down the seconds until 9:00 and we could leave...rolling our eyes when the same people checked out the same trashy romance novels...reading the latest National Geographic and People magazines when they came in on Saturdays...me talking about all my stupid boy problems and E listening to every word and offering me good advice...man. The more I think about it the more I miss them.

The crew after decorating for summer reading
-K

Comments