One Year

(Did anyone else have the song "One Week" from Barenaked Ladies pop into their head as they read that title? No? Just me? Cool.)

Ahem.

It's been one year since this happened...


(This was going to be a gushy lovey post about how much I love C, but there are honestly so many of those boring posts on so many boring blogs out there about how everyone is so grateful for their husband, and he's the hottest in the world, and no one else compares, blah blah blah. Are all those things true about C? Of course. Is he the best man in the world. Indubitably. Do I need to write an essay about how great he is? I could, but why?)

In short, I'll just say this.

This first year has been so hard. I had no idea how hard it would be. It has been hard to move out on our own, no roommates to talk to, to go to a ward where I didn't know anyone and pretend like everything was okay. It was hard to not have a job, to learn to cook regularly, to get a job, to be happy at the job, and find new hobbies. It was hard to put together a house that didn't look like it came straight from DI. It was hard to motivate myself to look good when I knew C didn't care if I wore makeup that day or not. It was hard to graduate without a job or even any idea what I wanted to do in my field (ps, I still don't know.) It was so hard to learn how to communicate and live with a completely new person you actually figured out you don't know as well as you thought. It was dang hard to get used to living with a boy (all I have are sisters and it is awesome.)

But for every hard thing, there are five thousand good things. I get to live with my best friend in the entire world. The entire world! I get to see his cute infectious little grin every day of my life. I get to hear his voice make up songs about me to random tunes just to make me smile. I get to talk to him about anything and everything in my life. I get to see him help P practice her pitching or attacks on goal. I get to see him make my family smile. I get to see him graduate. I get to see his joy as he gets accepted to grad school. I get to sit next to him in cars, airplanes, subways, and whatever other forms of transportation there are. I get to have his support when I tell him I've had a harder day than usual. I get to listen to him talk about his hopes, dreams, latest article he's read, favorite sports team stats, whatever. I get to share a bucket of popcorn with him at the dollar theatre. I get to do all these things, and infinity more.

So here's to a year!


-K

Comments