HC&M: A Study in Meh

How has it been more than a week since I've blogged last? I don't know. It's a hot mess over here at JTAB. I have no explanations.

Crappy

It's been a hard week, friends. I have felt so down. It's hard to send out application after application, and trying to talk to people and make connections, and at the end of the day you're right back where you started - jobless and a little bit poorer. You can only eat so many microwavable cups of Rice-a-Roni without going crazy. I just want to cook, dangit! Even a simple spaghetti would be better than what we're dealing with over here. I was raised on fruits and vegetables at every meal, and when you only get one tiny drawer in a massive fridge you have to prioritize. So we get bagged salads and as much fruit as we can stuff in there without displacing my skim milk. So sick of living here. Let me just say that one more time so you all understand. I HATE IT HERE. Hate it. It was fine for the first couple weeks, but it's going on a month now and I am starting to go crazy. This girl needs her own space. And her own kitchen!!! Pumpkin recipes are all over the place and I can't cook any of them. It's awful. It's like listening to Nickelback on repeat. :(

Also, I thought all the cicadas were dead. They're not. They're very much alive and screaming. :(

I'm still not over them kicking Nick off of Master Chef. I have no one to root for now. :(

All my books are packed in a storage unit and it's packed so full it's hard to get to anything :(



Happy

So in contrast, now I'm trying to focus on good things that have happened since the last time I've blogged, since it's so easy to see all the bad. So here is a big massive list of all the things I can think of that have been good!

- C started school today! The whole reason we're here started today, and I'm so grateful. It gives him something to do, which is good because he's been going crazy. As have I, as evidenced by the second paragraph of this post.
- BYU football has been doing well, which makes C happy, which makes me happy.
- Our car is still zooming around Chicago!
- All of C's textbooks came before his first class so he could be all prepared! I know I'm just a nerd, but seeing textbooks that I haven't read before makes me excited. I don't know. I'm a freak. Whatever.
- I made a friend! She's a missionary, so she's kind of a friend? I don't know why it took me so long to realize this, probably because I've never been really close to anyone that went on a mission, but missionaries are people too. I know. I sound ridiculous. But I always pictured them as these spiritual giants that were pillars of gospel knowledge, but this girl I hang out with at church is so down-to-earth and not patronizing at all. She's so sweet. Also she's a science geek, so when we talk she's always like "Say more sciencey words. I love science. I never get to hear it out here!" So there's that. (The fact that I'm a complete nerd isn't surprising anyone at this point, right? Just checking.)
- I'm halfway through Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin and it's finally getting good! (I was going crazy without books so we found a clearance rack at a bookstore and got me a big book to keep me occupied.)
- I'm so grateful for cell phones. Just getting to check in with N and B at college and R and the parents at home is so fun. Text messaging is saving me. All of you that text me, you're my heroes.

- I just went through my iTunes and rediscovered this beauty:

(This song just gets me right now. I have no explanation. It's from the AMAZING "Much Ado about Nothing" directed by Joss Whedon, and if you haven't seen it...*pinches bridge of nose* Just see it.)

- The basic white girl in me is loving "Wildest Dreams" by T Swizzle. It's always in my head. I can't get rid of it. I love it. I understand this is probably because I never listen to the radio anymore, and it's probably being vastly overplayed, but whatever. I'm into it. Same with "Uma Thurman" by Fall Out Boy. Dang that guitar lick from Uma Thurman. I swear that's never leaving my head.
- We went to the store and I now possess Greek yogurt. I forgot how much I love good Greek yogurt.
- I'm finally figuring out Instagram. I don't love it, but maybe it'll grow on me? Idk. I'm just not a fan of the five-thousand hashtags to a picture thing. Or how fake everyone is on it. You know? They'll put up a picture and be like "Look at this beautiful dinner my husband cooked!" and I'm like GOSH C WHY DON'T YOU EVER COOK FOR ME and then I realize we have no kitchen. And then you look closer and they totally bought the food from some food joint and arranged it artfully on a plate. Yeah, you've definitely got the best husband ever, girl. I sure wish my husband would go to Noodles & Company and buy food and then arrange it on a plate. You truly married a fine specimen. Or I'll look at their #nomakeup selfie and they're totally wearing mascara. Or have used this weird filter that blurs their entire face. Whatever. Everyone is fake and I'm over it.
- We bought a clearance t-shirt from the DePaul bookstore for me, and it totally fits and looks way cute! Love when stuff like that works out.
- Castle comes back in exactly one week!!!

Meh
- This blog post. It's okay, SAY IT TO MY FACE
- Chipotle. I know I'm going under fire when I put this here. But me and C tried it (because my Costa Vida wants were approaching status: desperately need.) And it was meh. I don't know. I know a ton of people looooove it and that's awesome. Me? It had a ton of cilantro and lime flavor to everything. I mean if you like that, cool. But when the rice tastes just like the chips, which taste like the pico de gallo, (or "salsa", as they call it. It's not salsa..), it gets a little weird. Burn me at the stake. That's fine. But I will stand by Costa Vida no matter what. Come at me, bro.
- This season of SYTYCD. I haven't watched the finale yet, but I know who wins and I'm just meh about it. There were good dancers I guess, but I really didn't connect with the whole "stage vs. street" thing in the end. And Jason Derulo? *groan* Get on a plane and go away. Oh wait. You can't. Bring back the Hot Tamale Train!
- The whole Sodalicious vs. Swig fight. How ridiculous can you get? The more ridiculous question - Aren't we all frightened by the amount of people who can't live without drinking soda every day? Heaven forbid the zombie apocalypse come and shut down all the soda joints. These people would literally stop functioning. I'm so grateful that me and C don't have a soda addiction. That crap is expensive. Bring on the ice water. Or, just ice. I'm flexible.


-K

Comments

Post a Comment