Wednesday Books - Steelheart

Guys.  Do yourself a massive favor, and read this book.

Thanks, Goodreads
Yes, it's Brandon Sanderson and some of you aren't really into the science fiction genre. Neither was I. But this book is amazing, and everyone who is anyone should read it. I'm not even done yet and I'm telling you this. Coming from someone who inhales books for a hobby, take a couple days and read this bad boy. I'm serious.

Our protagonist, David, lost his father in an Epic attack on a bank they were in. Epics are superhumans, with amazing supernatural powers (like creating illusions, killing people just by pointing at them, etc). However, every single Epic has one weakness, and it takes a smart guy to figure out what each one's is. David is that guy. Ever since his dad died when Steelheart (the big, bad, invincible ruler of Newcago) attacked, David has had one motivation - kill Steelheart. Because no one, except David, has seen Steelheart bleed, and he alone can figure out the secret to taking Steelheart down.

Okay. Here's a list of top things that I loved about this book.

1. David is a very relatable protagonist, at least to me. His use of metaphors is amazing. Read it just for that. I mean, a brick made of porridge? I was dying.

2. Sanderson knows how to build a world. He is the epitome of show, don't tell. Everyone who wants to write should read this book for that reason alone.

3. It surprises you. You think you have everything all figured out, and then - BAM. You don't. You were wrong all along. I love that in literature! Sanderson places perfect clues along the way that don't make sense until the last five pages or so. It's amazing. No reading ahead, people!

4. I look creative looks at weaponry and battle gear, for some reason. Reading about when they visit the weapons dealer was one of my favorite parts. Ah. Awesome.

5. It's the first in a series! And while it doesn't end on a total cliffhanger or anything, there's more! I'm so excited!

tl;dr - Read this book. The end.

-K

Comments