Get Your Kicks on I-80

Or don't, because it's one of the most boring roads in the world (at least, the part of it we drove.) It runs from Utah up a thousand mountains to Wyoming, and then slowly meanders through Nebraska, Iowa, and Illinois. It wouldn't be such a bad drive if I had a DVD player and access to every single episode of Castle ever made, but we survived the trip using my iPod and The Morning Zoo podcast. Thank goodness for Frankie, DB, & Jess or I never would have made it.

Ready to go! Also, who decided to give us the snake truck? Sheez.
My plants also made the journey in the truck with us. They seemed to enjoy it better than we did.

Cacti love road trips, right?
It only lost a few of its succulent little leaves, and it does that sometimes anyway.
I can't figure out why :(
Wyoming is meh. The only good part of Wyoming is Jackson and the Grand Teton National Park. Sadly, we did not go through Jackson or the Tetons, so it was very meh. Grey, rainy, and meh (And yes, I do spell it grey and not gray. I spell things ye olde English way. We all know this.)

Trucker C (who had the audacity to ask me if he could become a truck driver while we were on this trip.
Yes, C. You can become a truck driver, after all the time we spent getting out to your graduate school.
Where you will graduate with a Masters degree. *sigh* *cue cacti pieces sadly falling to the floor of the cab*)
I kept trying to think of any good thing that came out of Nebraska but all I could come up with was Penny from TBBT. And she's fictional, for crying out loud.



Although there was one good thing about Nebraska, and that is that sunflowers grow wild on both sides of the road. It's so cute. It was a little bright spot in a sea of beige.

Lots of clouds. Reminds me of Montana without being as beautiful. Sadly, this part didn't have sunflowers.
Iowa was such a crapshoot. Turns out we were there right as the Iowa State Fair was happening, so there were zero hotels in Des Moines so we had to stay at some crappy one a few miles out of town. *groan* Never doing that again. (Side note: Why the heck are there politicians at the Iowa State Fair? Who cares! Do they know how to judge a prize-winning steer? I'm going to go with a big no. Although it was funny to me that I was in a state with more presidential candidates than I would have ever been back in Utah. Must be interesting to actually be recruited to vote.)

Illinois has been okay so far. We crossed the Mississippi River, which was cool. I felt like a pioneer in reverse, you know - working west to east, instead of the other way around. The people seem nice so far. We found the nearest Target, Michael's, Old Navy, and Panda Express, so I'm pretty much set for life. Unfortunately the Costa Vida is way on the other end of Chicago out here, so I guess I'll have to try Chipotle. Bleh. But there is Noodles and Company and Lou Malnati's, so the outset on food is looking good at the moment. Plus my cactus has stopped dropping little cactus pieces all over, so I think he's adjusting okay.

Chicago Bear is excited to be back in her indigenous area.
(C brought me this bear home as a present when he was in Chicago a couple years ago.)
 More to come soon,

K

Comments