It's December!

It's December AND it's Tuesday, home slices. What sucks about Tuesdays is that the office gets literally buckets of mail on Tuesdays. And since last week was a vacation? It's going to be like five times worse. Aaaaaaand as I was driving into work today my car wheel started making a weird noise, like the wheel well is coming off, which it is! Whee! At least the tire isn't coming off. Now that was a terrifying experience. Might as well tell it, before the massive mail bucket gets here.

So me and M, our cars were like... connected somehow. When hers broke down, mine would too. It was awful. Whenever our breakdowns happened, we would go up into our apartment and blast Linkin Park until we felt better/our cars were fixed. That was the winter of alternator troubles, control arm fiascoes, and tire issues, which is what this particular anecdote is about.

So one day, we're driving home from church. M's driving, I'm in the passenger seat, and L is in the backseat. As we're driving down the road, M says, "Do you guys hear that?" It sounds almost like a helicopter taking off or something, it's weird. So she starts moving the wheel around, seeing what will happen, when all of a sudden we feel this big jolt and the car starts leaning to the left. As I turn to look at M, all of a sudden I see this tire zooming down the road. Just a singular tire, rolling down the middle of University Avenue. I look at M and say, "Is that...?" and she just nods. Meanwhile, L is in the back completely panicked because it was the tire directly underneath her and she thought she had caused it somehow. ("Guys, I might be too fat for this car!")

So naturally, we're all freaking out because that's what you do after something intense happens, at least I panic and think about the five million ways it could have gone differently, all of them ending in my fiery death. But this time I didn't have time to panic since everybody else was. The delayed panicking would have to come later, I guess. I got us out of the car, went to my apartment to change, and then me and M went to go look for the tire. We spot it in a gutter about half a mile down the road and set off to look for it. As we're walking over, a bunch of missionaries come walking home from church. One of them asks if he can help, so we hand him the nasty tire to carry on his nice suit. We jaywalk across University with his awkward companion in tow.

Meanwhile, people have been coming to our apartment looking for us because, you know, we're the shiz. So first me and M's home teacher, S comes over, and he gets the story told to him dramatically by L, who is at home recovering from the traumatic experience. So he comes zooming down University looking for us and our wrecked car, which actually looked perfectly fine, just minus one tire. So here he comes, the epitome of a home teacher to the rescue, when really all we were doing was waiting for M's dad to get there and bemoaning her poor car. S goes over to comfort M and who do I see zooming up? C, in his little Corolla. Apparently he stopped by our apartment as well and was similarly informed by L of our near-death experience, and decided to be Super Boyfriend and make sure his cute little girlfriend was safe (I was) and to laugh his silly little head off at our predicament, which while entirely traumatic at the time, is kind of funny to look back at now. "You'll laugh at this, I promise!" he laughed as he gave me a hug. Thanks a lot, Super Boyfriend. I COULD HAVE DIED. But whatever. Just keep laughing, you...

...So that's probably one of the scariest/funniest things that ever happened to me. Good story, yeah?

Mail update: Hardly anything. Hm. Maybe it's the calm before the storm. I also have a NEW KEYBOARD! I can hit the space bar again! And I can type as fast as my little heart desires, because it's new and quiet and it's awesome. Woohoo! Yay for new office supplies.

Later,

K

Comments