Stories for C

Well friends, I'm back in town again, woot. Took a weekend trip down to St. George with C to see another band competition but it's over now. No more band competitions for me! And while I was more prepared this time with a heavier jacket, it was still way colder than you'd expect St. George to be. Also, C got me a hot chocolate so that made it better. (Haha. See, C? I mentioned you!)

What else has happened... P dressed up as a little Jedi for Halloween. She's been pestering my poor mom all month long to let her dress up as a Star Wars character, so I guess Mom gave in and P got to be a Jedi, complete with her own light saber (saber? sabre?) I have never actually seen Star Wars, but I guess this is a big deal. My phone's photo memory is full, which is annoying, so I couldn't take a picture. I'll try to find one somewhere and post it later.

Today I'm doing the work of both me and the afternoon secretary, which isn't hard. I really think I could train an intelligent primate to do my job and it would work out just fine. Except for the phone answering part, but they could just give that part to the cashiers and it would be perfect.

I mean, really. This dumb monkey even has a nicer chair than I do. And a nicer computer...

Well C is telling me to write a blog post about him, so let's see what I come up with... Here, have a random picture of C while I think about what to write about him. There's just so much to choose from...

R and C
How about I tell you all how I met our dear C? Cool? 

Well, it was early early summer of 2013. I had stayed in my current apartment complex and was looking forward to a new year of fun because all the roommates I had intensely disliked had moved out and it was going to be great. I mean, of course I got some new crappy ones too... I mean, of course I'd get stuck with a girl who likes watching The Bachelor. And could never figure out how to make the DVD player work... 

Anyway, that's not the point. Point is, school was out, I was studying for the GRE and working full-time at my captioning job (including a lot of nights and weekends for baseball games), and doing not much else in between. I had also gotten out of a relationship a month or two before and wasn't really feeling the whole "date date date!" thing. You know how it is. 

So, up comes the first Sunday after everyone has gotten settled after moving in/out. Me and M go to church, obviously scoping out the ward for new guys. Because honestly, who cares about the new girls. If you care, you are lying. So anyway, there me and M are, looking around trying to find some new guys that could be fun to hang out with, and who do we see? 

...No one really that spectacular, at least to us. So we go on our merry way home, slightly disappointed in this year's newbies. And, like most Sundays in 314, we got home, made some food (food meaning treats) and hung out for awhile on our balcony, where we could escape from Bachelor girl and her icky boyfriend and also watch everyone in the parking lot leaving/coming home from church. To our disappointment, we didn't see anything really exciting, so we went back inside.

Later that night, M decided she was going to give this ward one last shot and wanted to go the age-old singles ward tradition of ward stare - I mean ward prayer. Ugh. I hated ward prayer. It was  always awkward and weird, and you knew everyone was checking you out, and it was just - ugh. But, to humor her, I decided to go. Because, you know, friendship.

So I'm at this awkward ward prayer, and everyone is like meandering around meeting everyone, and me and M are hanging out talking to some people we already knew, and then we see our buddy J, who we knew from before as well. He's there talking to a couple guys that are new. So M goes "Who are you talking to, J?", and all three of them turn around. We've got J, a tall skinny brunette, and a shorter skinny blond. The two we don't know are wearing nearly identical v-neck shirts, which we of course capitalize on.

"You know, me and M match all the time too," I casually remark. 

The blond one, looking a little flustered, replies "We didn't do this on purpose, it just... happened."

"Sure, sure..." I retort. 

Now I don't remember actually all that was said or how it all went down. But what I do know is we all hung out the rest of the evening; Me and C, M and tall brunette, and other M and their other roommate who was also there. Once C found out I captioned sports for a living, we had a lot to talk about. I mean, this guy actually watched these sports that I was captioning, or he was there in person. We talked about all sorts of things. We even found out we had gone to the same junior high for awhile. 

Now the rest is a very long story I don't want to type right now, but have a picture! 


I'll tell the rest of the story eventually. I promise. And also, I haven't forgotten about Eli! Next time, I promise. 

-K

Comments