Post GG Era

So ever since I finished Gilmore Girls completely for the second time, I've been looking for a new show to fill my Amy Sherman-Palladino void. This week I tried...


Main premise: A wannabe spoiled surgeon, Zoe Hart, is turned down for a fellowship in her hospital in NYC and is told to do a year of GP (general practice) before her mentor will consider her to be worthy of this fellowship. He also tells her that she has no bedside manner (not an exaggeration) and she needs to grow a heart. So she remembers this random guy that went to her college graduation that was like "Oh hey, if you ever want to do a year of GP down in Bluebell, Alabama, give me a call." So since she has this perfect opportunity, she goes down there and finds the practice, only to find the dude had died and he was actually her father (unexpected totally-forseen plot twist!) So now she takes over his half of the practice, while trying to get patients to like her as she ruins parades, throws terrible parties, flirts with local engaged men, etc, etc, etc.

My thoughts? Hey, it's a doctor show in a small town. I like doctors and small towns. But from the first episode alone, you can be pretty sure where this romantic dramady is headed. But hey, wasn't that how GG was too, a little bit?

I'm about halfway through the first season, and here's my pros/cons list so far:

Pros:
-The town of Bluebell does remind me a bit of Stars Hollow. It definitely meets the "town celebrates random holidays" criteria (They celebrate Planksgiving and dress up like pirates and have a fish fry instead of traditional Thanksgiving), as well as the gossipy old ladies and other memorable townfolk. Luke's Diner is replaced with the Rammer Jammer, where Luke/Wade feeds Lorelei/Zoe. Anyone see where this is going...?
-She as a person doesn't bother me. She usually looks pretty cute, and does a really nice job on her hair. Wade annoys me because he has perpetual scruff, but I guess some girls are into that? In the last couple episodes he's been wearing nicer clothes to try and impress Zoe so that's been a plus. And Lemon? Holy cow. It's like I got on a time machine and came out in the '50s. Admirable and painful at the same time.
-The show is usually entertaining. I watched the Planksgiving one last night, and while it was pretty ridiculous, it was pretty awesome.
-They played a song by The Head and the Heart during one of the episodes, always a plus. (I haven't watched this music video, so I'm not sure if it's any good or not. The song is really good though.)



Cons:
-The mayor of the town was some star football player (Lavon Hayes? Is he famous?) Not to say that famous people can't become politicans (Anyone remember the Governator?) But it seems a little far-fetched, plus he never does anything remotely mayoral, besides riding on floats sometimes.
-She is entirely unbelievable as a doctor/surgeon. Just because you can say the phrase "hypertrophic cardiomyopathy" doesn't mean I believe you know what it means (it's a serious heart defect.) I mean, she seems like she'd make a really good event planner, or maybe a shampoo model. But a doctor? Nigh unto unbelievable.
-Most of the music is usually country. So far it hasn't been terrible (to someone who absolutely hates country) but I can see it getting really annoying. But hey, I asked for it. I'm watching a show about Hickville, Alabama. It comes with the territory.
-It's not as funny as GG. It's just... not. Although I've laughed out loud a few times.

TL;DR
Hart of Dixie is like the extremely watered-down version of GG. While it has some nice medical terminology thrown in there, it's still about a small town. Granted, HD is more about a newcomer trying to fit in to the small town, but you get the same kind of charm. It's not as funny as GG, for sure, but it is still entertaining. Give it a try if you're bored. There's only four seasons, three on Netflix and one on CW.com, so it'll be a semi-fast watch. Let me know what you think.

What I tell C every day... 
-K

Comments