Jeffrey Has Taken Ill + Recent Reads

It's Friday! I think the only thing that keeps me going throughout the workweek is that Saturdays, we have nothing. It's blissful. We usually meal plan and grocery shop in the mornings, and then do something fun for the rest of the day. Even if "fun" consists of walking around the huge outlet mall near our apartment. Or we'll take a trip to the two-story Target. Last Saturday we hit up the local Petco for a new fishtank for Jeffrey. Speaking of, he's been very listless lately. He barely makes it off his little leaf to say hi to me when I get home. I think it may be near the end for the little guy. :/ Don't die, Jeffrey! You're my only friend out here! And no, I still have never seen him eat. I don't know what's up with that little dude.

Happy thoughts that don't include poor sick Jeffrey... Um... I'm getting back on my CBMR kick this week. I got my compensation book yesterday and I read it yesterday. All of it. At one point I looked up and C was watching me and he was like "Are you actually reading or just flipping pages every thirty seconds?" I was reading, btw. The font size was larger than normal! What's a speed-reader to do...?  The book was kind of annoying me so I just wanted to finish it. It was okay. When I write a review and send it to the CBMR I'll let you know.

Speaking of another book that was a letdown, have any of you read Eleanor & Park? I read it in one sitting in the Oakton library while I was waiting for C to pick me up after his class one night and I was so disappointed. Maybe I just went into it with such high expectations since everyone and their dog was like "the best teenage romance of our time!!!" but dang. Talk about mehhhhhhh. I wrote a review for that one too. If the CBMR doesn't like it I'll post it here. I'm sick of being let down by books!

One more! I finished All the Light We Cannot See last week (my birthday book from C) and that one was... different. It's hard to explain. I loved the premise. I loved the intensity. I loved Marie-Laure. But I didn't love the end. I just felt like it was building and building and then all of a sudden, nothing. I don't know. I really liked the book. I'm glad I own it. But I'm not sure who I'd recommend it to. I talked to a fellow bookworm and she felt kind of the same way. I would recommend it, I guess. Because as you all know, I'm apparently addicted to WWII fiction and there's no cure. Woohoo!

Next, I anticipate starting some of my Christmas books. I got Go Set a Watchman from my mom so I'm interested to see what I think about it. I'm debating reading To Kill a Mockingbird first though. What do you think? I'm never opposed to reading that literary genius again. Maybe I'll work on that this weekend and try Watchman next week.

My crafts are going well. I'm currently working on a new book I got for Christmas about how to crochet these really cute stuffed animals! I would put pics up but they're gifts for people so... maybe later. My cross-stitching is going well too. I usually don't let myself watch Netflix unless I'm crafting at the same time, so a lot more is getting done. Ha.

Speaking of Netflix, I tried "The Last Five Years" this week, and I actually really liked it! It has like one star but I don't care. It's got Anna Kendrick and you all know how I feel about her. It was mostly clean, although there are a few "let's fast forward and get out of this scene" parts, but I really liked it. It's about a couple - he's a writer, she's an aspiring actress. The movie shows how they get together and how they fall apart in the space of five years. It's definitely 95% singing 5% talking, but that's okay. It gave me a lot to think and talk to C about our own marriage.

Quick poll: is Enrique Iglesias' "Bailando" appropriate for work? It just played on my Pandora and I like it too much to turn it off, but is it appropriate? What is appropriate work music? Borns? Michael Buble? Enrique Iglesias? Who decides? My easy listening station is usually safe but I was so dang sick of it. Fridays are for being crazy. Bailando is staying. #emptyoffice

Well, those are my random Friday thoughts. What are yours?

-K

Comments

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that Jeffrey is ill :( I hope he finds his appetite soon. Also, I've debated picking up Eleanor and Park before but couldn't make myself do it so I'm oddly glad to hear that you think it's 'meh.' I've known about the stage production of The Last 5 Years for a few years now but I didn't know the Anna Kendrick film was on Netflix. Putting that on my list...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am officially not a friend in Chicago! Time for a celebration downtown!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment