Hitting The Meh-therload

Been awhile since Happy Crappy and Meh has graced this lovely blog, hasn't it? Let's remedy that.

Happy
-I got a new fish! Meet Jeffrey:


Jeffrey's first few days at home were a little stressful. He was nameless until a couple days ago because nothing really fit. His fishbowl also shattered last Sunday and he spent a couple crazy moments flopping around on the kitchen floor while C tried to scoop him with a net while I frantically found a cup for him. Thankfully he survived that and has just made the transition to his brand-new tank! He seems to like it better than the old one anyway. To this day I still haven't seen him eat. I don't know if/what/when he eats, but he's still alive, so I'm assuming he's a shy eater...? Poor guy. Maybe the whole fishbowl-shattering incident really took a psychological toll.

The reason behind the name Jeffrey is two-fold. My mom suggested I call him Jeff Probst (from Survivor) since he survived the fishbowl-shattering incident... And then Jeff didn't really seem to fit, and then I remembered this guy...

Jellyfish.
So yes. We have a fish again! Yay Jeffrey!
-Worst Cooks in America has started again and I freaking love it. Me and C just started watching it like ten minutes ago and already we have seen a lady use a whole stick of butter to make half a cup of rice, a lady that thinks she killed her great aunt by making her a birthday cake (no really), and a guy that made instant ramen by pouring boiling water into the plastic packaging the dry ramen comes in. Surprise twist: HE USED IT AS FILLING FOR A BURRITO.
-Me and C made a great Sunday dinner last week, AND I tried making Graham Elliot's famous sugar cookies and they turned out! I'm cooking like a Master Chef, people!
-We finally found a grocery store that's not grossly overpriced! It's only about 15 minutes away and it's totally worth it.
-Want to hear an awesome song? Here you go. R introduced me to Borns awhile back but since creating a Pandora station based on them my life has gotten so much better.

Crappy
-So the weather here is crappy. I can do cold, but this is like, 4* that feels like -13* (according to my phone...) It's awful. Our car door was frozen shut last week. So far the "pro" list for Chicago has.... nothing on it.
-It's snowing. I hate snow. The only people that like snow are SAHMs and the unemployed. I freaking hate snow. Weather.com says it should end in a few minutes. I don't trust them.
-Chicago drivers. I don't care how much you So-Cal/back East people swear up and down Utah drivers are the worst on the planet, they've got nothing on Chicago drivers. To a Chicago driver, a turn signal is entirely there for show. Also brakes. And a safe following distance? Forget about it. (And yes, my snowy commute was crappy, THANKS FOR ASKING)
-I liked my  job a lot more when the students weren't around... And now they're back. *cries* Plus they're all sick. All of them. I'm downing Vitamin C like there's no tomorrow.
-So I decided I wanted to try and take piano lessons through the college I work at because a) I don't want to lose my skills  I've worked so hard to gain, and b) it would be free. So I asked the one professor of piano at the college if she could teach me, and she was like "Maybe. Come down and play for me." So I did, and of course I hadn't played anything in like six months, so I sounded kind of meh, and then she told me she didn't have room for me. And then handed me a ton of fliers about her upcoming concert. Hahahahahahahahahahahaha those went straight into recycling. I don't need you, lady.

Meh
-I've already started watching flights to get back for R's graduation. It's yay because it gives me something to look forward to, but sad because it's so far away/expensive. I don't care. It's happening. I need something to get me through the next few crappy months.
-You know, I'm really worried about little Jeffrey. What kind of fish is sensitive about his eating? Maybe playing some calming music would help? Bernard used to like listening to music when I cleaned his tank (I think? Who knows what fish like, really...?) Maybe Jeffrey is more of a Borns guy instead of a Neon Trees guy. I'll try that tonight and see what happens. Stay tuned.
-Me and C debated seeing a movie over MLK Day but nothing good was playing. And there's no such thing as a dollar theatre out here. Seriously. Only AMCs and a random Cinemark we found. Dollar theatres have been an integral part of our date nights since we got married, and it's sad there's not really one out here :/

TL;DR - Chicago is meh. My new fish is shy. The end.

-K

Comments