C visits the ER

So last week was a weird week, as I alluded to on the Jupiter Ascending review. I actually wrote that while C was next to me in a morphine/Valium-induced coma (not really, but that was essentially what it was.) Wednesday he started telling me his neck hurt, and it hadn't gotten better Thursday morning. Of course, being the biology freak that I am, was convinced he had viral meningitis and didn't want to go near him, haha. I would make a terrible, terrible doctor. I hate communicable diseases.

Anyway, so when I got back from work on Thursday we took him straight to the doctor, who first of all eased my meningitis worry since he didn't have a fever or other viral symptoms (sore throat, etc), gave him some pain meds and sent us home, saying if it got any worse we should take him to the ER. C insisted he was fine, so I went to Jupiter Ascending with W with my phone in my pocket in case anything happened.

When I got home, there hadn't been any improvement at all. He tried all sorts of ways to relax it, and around 11 pm when nothing was working asked me if I would go get some IcyHots from Walgreens. So I put on my breakaway pants (longtime friends of mine know how important those are) and got my butt to Walgreens where I sat in the IcyHot aisle for like twenty minutes trying to decide what to get. After a nice dude helped me out, I was back home applying menthol patches to his neck. He said it felt a little better, and we went to bed.

Next thing I know, it's 3:30 am and C is waking me up telling me it's not getting better, it's getting a lot worse. He can't even move his head without being in immense amounts of pain. I freak out (embarrassingly) and start getting stuff ready to go to the ER, since we can't think of anything else to do and he can't move. Thankfully there was no one in the waiting room, so we got back right away. After some painful, painful x-rays for C (dang that dumb radiology tech), the doctor told us it was just "torticollis", or a stiff neck. He gave us this prescription for generic Percocet and muscle relaxants and some steroids and come back if it gets any worse. And also have this morphine shot, and wear this neck brace. It was also during this time I realized that I had put on two pairs of sweatpants and no coat. What on earth was I thinking? I'm an embarrassment. But, whatever. We leave the hospital and hit up Walgreens at about 4:45 am and get helped by the perkiest old-man pharmacist I've ever met. That dude was awesome.

So for the rest of the weekend we basically stayed inside. I kept track of all of C's medicines and watched a ton of Whose Line is it Anyway, and C slept and ate and that was about it. He's doing a lot better now, he's even back at school today. Hopefully his recovery continues. We do have an appointment for a physical therapy consultation next Friday, so hopefully he'll keep improving so we might not have to go. The better he feels, the more active he gets. It was murder trying to keep that guy calm during the basketball game on Saturday, I told him he could only watch it if he stayed calm and for the most part he did, with me reminding him every two seconds. I am a strict, strict caregiver. Hehe. Reason #5000 why I am not a nurse though. Ugh, can you imagine if I had to deal with people like C but I wasn't married to them? Takes a lot more energy than I have. Nurses, I applaud you.

So anyway, that's my long boring story about how C is a sicky and I was a nurse for a weekend. Cool, right?

Have some Parks and Rec, since I just finished the series yesterday and am now extremely worried that no show will make me as happy as that one did ever again. I'm back to rewatching the series already so I can make a Top Five Episodes post.


Yay.

-K

Comments