Katelyn Goes Back to 5th Grade

So little fifth-grade P calls me up the other day, and this is what went down:

P: Katelyn?
Me: Yep, it's me. What's up?
P: Um... Well, can you be my special guest for "Bring a Friend to School Day" at my school?
Me: Sure! That'd be awesome!
P: Grandma's out of town or I would ask her.
Me: ...

But it's okay! I was still excited to get to see P (and my mom) in their working environments. I remember when my mom would come to my classroom in elementary school and volunteer to read with groups or whatever, and it was always awesome. So I show up to Bring a Friend to School day super excited, like yeah! I remember elementary school! It was super easy! Woo! First we had an assembly where they all sang songs and we cheered for them, and then we went and met them in their classrooms and they showed us around and we ate cookies.

Here's a few conversation snapshots of that day:

Me: Hey Mom, how's it going?
Mom: Other teacher is gone, basically in charge of controlling 60 sixth-graders. Can't talk now. Bye!
Me: ...

Kids singing: The bathrooms here at school, they say are mighty fine, we share them with the spiders, but they don't seem to mind!
P (whispers): That's actually true. Last year there was a whole family of spiders living in the bathroom at the end of the hall. You had to be careful in there.

Me: So how did school go today?
Mom: Had a kick crack his head open at recess, we ran out of cookies, other sixth grade teacher was gone, the student council was a mess, and a bunch of the sixth graders were crying...
Me: Crying?
Mom: Yeah, apparently none of them are good at football and so they all had to cry about it.
Me: ...boys were crying?
Mom: *sigh* I was like "Is the person telling you you're not good an NFL player? No! Then stop crying about it!"

Me: P, are these your friends?
P: ...No.

And perhaps the best conversation of the entire day:

P's teacher: P, why don't you show your guest around the classroom?
P: *gestures to the classroom* It's pretty self-explanatory.

So much for my tour. Ha!

Here's a picture of P looking uncomfortable that I picked because she made this face quite a lot when I was at her school. And I wasn't even trying to hug her half the time! Sheez. It's like I'm not the cool sister anymore.

I also picked this pic because N just left for college again and I miss her.
So there. 
-K

Comments