I'm Dreaming of a Warm Shower

I'm so sorry about the wait, guys. (Also - 50 views on the 10th??? What happened??? Or was one of you accidentally refreshing? Either way, legit. Way cool to log in and see that many views.)

So I bet you were all wondering where I was for the last couple weeks, right? (Oh, you don't care? Well the close button is riiiiiight up there, buddy.)

I was here!


That, my friends, is the living room of me and C's very own first Chicago apartment!!! Really and truly! And yes, that's crown molding. Turns out when you pony up the cash to live in a good area you get some unexpected perks...

Moving day was crazy. We signed a lease Friday night, and Saturday morning first thing we called a moving company and they said they could help us move that day. It was amazing. We were in!.

Here's our new kitchen:

Note my plants! They've survived this whole time!
I mean, looks nice, right? Unfortunately it's all an illusion. See that sink? It doesn't drain. And plumber-man can't fix it without going behind the wall. So it's back to paper plates and minimal cooking for us until he fixes it tomorrow >:( I swear. We move out of a crappy place so we CAN cook and now we're back to square one. I mean, we can cook, but then all the dishes and stuff will just sit out until the sink gets fixed. Me and C are definitely not the type to let dishes sit around, so we're trying to keep dirty pots/pans/dishes/silverware to a minimum. Freaking heck. Been a week of this. That oven is tempting me, people.

Want to hear an even sadder story? So when we looked at this place to begin with we were excited because a whole bunch of stuff had been updated, including the bathroom. Unfortunately, they installed the water faucet in the tub wrong, so the hottest water we get to shower in is lukewarm at best. I swear, guys. This place almost makes me want to move back to weird landlady's house. And they're not fixing that until Sunday...That makes a week of crap cold showers! Yes I know this is a #firstworldproblem but I don't care. That's something that's just a basic human right when you pay this much for an apartment.

Those are the negatives. Now for the positives!

C jumping for joy when we found out we got the apartment and we could move that day
 We were so excited to move, you have no idea. I even took pictures of where we were stuck living for three months and I plan on doing a whole post about it. You're going to love it.

Heaven on earth
THIS, my friends, is a two-story Target, right here in Norridge. See, you get on the human escalator, and then see how there's a special cart escalator to bring your cart where you go? It's amazing. It is the most fantastic Target I have ever seen. I want to live here.


This was before we had put our table back together from moving, but we couldn't wait to make a real dinner! In this case, that consisted of spaghetti, salad, French bread, and peas (and some Halloween candy we got for like 70% off the week after Halloween...) C likes peas and likes to put them on random things, like spaghetti. Whatever, man. And I know the shirt he's wearing makes him look like he's recently lost like 300 pounds but really it's an XXL I got for free at a football game like six years ago. I feed my husband, people. Don't be alarmed.

So yes. We have an apartment, and a new address (message me if you want it). That's the biggest good news.

Now it's time for the "Brag about C Minute" here at JTAB! C had a couple interviews this week for internships/more permanent work that's actually in statistics. JobGiraffe (his temp job agency) has been fantastic and a total miracle for money since we've been here, but now that I can earn the rent we're looking to get him somewhere where he's actually using his degree. C has also been asked to be the project leader for his statistics club, STATCOM. Basically the team picks a nonprofit organization in the Chicagoland area to help, and then they perform statistical analysis work pro bono for them for a semester so they can become more efficient with funds, employees, etc. It's a big honor to be asked to be a leader since his program is fairly large and STATCOM is for both undergrads and graduate students, but I guess his professors and classmates think he's pretty cool and nominated him for the job. I mean, I think he's pretty cool too, but it's good to see other people agree with me :P

So in sum, things are starting to turn out for us here. I still don't *love* living out here away from everyone and everything I care about (except C), but it's good to feel like we're out here for an important reason, and seeing C succeed in school really helps me feel better.

-K

Comments