Katelyn Goes to a YSA Dance

Here it goes people. You get to hear about my awesome New Year's Eve. I just can't wait to tell you all about it...Ha. Ha. Ha. If you have something more interesting to do, like watching paint dry, then be my guest. I won't be offended. Really.

...

Oh good, you're still here.


Actually, it's not that bad, compared to some other ones I've had. I feel like the older I get, the lamer holidays like New Year's Eve become. Since I'm a college student, all my friends disappear after Finals Week and magically appear when the term starts, which basically leaves me with nothing to do. It's a good thing that my best friend lives close by, so I don't feel so much like a loser. This year, we got invited to a local YSA dance, so we decided to drop in.

Okay. You've all been there. You walk in. Simultaneously, you're hit with every variety of Axe ever made, as well as the entire Bath and Body Works collection. Now add those together with an overwhelming feeling of desperation, and you've got it made. Now that you're "in the zone", as it were,  I've come up with a few tips to get you through the awkwardness of a YSA dance.

1)  If someone asks you to dance, find out some vital information before you start spilling your life story to the poor guy. For example, find out if he goes to college or if he's living out of his parent's basement and borrowed his mom's car to get there. You'll probably make him feel bad if you're actually doing something useful with your life while he sits around and plays Frogger or something equally as useless. Which, when you think about it, might not be a bad thing.

2) Don't sit staring at your phone screen all night. Yes, it's difficult to hear/feel your phone when you're rocking out to "Everytime We Touch", but save the checking for once per song, tops. Otherwise, you'll look like you're just waiting for the night to end, which you might, but try and be more on the DL about it.

3) Don't be a starer. You know, the one that stands on the back wall all alone and scopes out the crowd like a sniper looking for their next unsuspecting victim. Creepy. A bunch of guys all in a row? Creepier. Spread out, dudes. Or better yet, find a girl and ask her to dance. It's called a "dance" for a reason.

4) Don't hog the refreshment table. Yes, I understand no one has asked you to dance for the last two slow songs in a row. Been there, done that. But that does not give you the excuse to pig out at the refreshment table while the chaperones shoot you dirty looks and everyone else says "Wow, at least I'm not her." You're not going to get any dances that way, my friend.

5) Feel a need to bust out that move you saw on "So You Think You Can Dance" last year? Make sure you warn your partner before spinning her into oblivion or trying out some tricky swing move you learned that one time you went to the swing dance club. Don't make the girl regret agreeing to dance with you.

6) Be realistic in your expectations. This is Utah Valley, after all.

Bust a move!

~K

Comments