K Returns to Her Native Land

That's right, I was in Utah (AKA The Promised Land) about a month ago for a few days. One of my sisters graduated from high school, one got her endowments out, and one got a prestigious award, given to only four students in the sixth grade. So, basically, my family is awesome and I am obviously the weak link in the awesome chain...except that I have a BLOG so clearly I am also awesome.

And I apologize to all the people I left hanging since the Cubs post. (Since that time, I have learned that the majority of my coworkers are White Sox fans. I'm not sure why. I guess because tickets are cheaper..? Apparently we're going to a White Sox game sometime in early July so I'll keep everyone posted.) Regardless, it's been awhile, so I made sure this post had tons of pictures to make up for it.

Important Things that Happened:

1. R's Graduation

She's in the first three rows, somewhere...
R graduated like the champion she is, with all sorts of cords and medals and sashes and stuff. C was a gentleman and ironed all her stuff out, while me and N scrubbed at the makeup stains some loser left on her NHS stole.


We headed over to graduation in the HandiVan and parked five million years away, because the idiots at UVU scheduled a state softball tournament during the same exact days of graduation. *facepalm* So, we had to zoom across campus. Well, Dad zoomed. The rest of us (jay)walked.


We were pretty early so we got decent seats, and had time to get refreshments (Popcorn! The one plus to having graduation at UVU - concessions were open!) Since R sings in the top choir in the school, that just happened to perform at graduation, she got to be in one of the first few rows, instead of back in the middle like she normally would have been. This was awesome, because it was easy to see her, we got to see her sing, and she was one of the first few to get her diploma (yay!) The speeches at this graduation were very unique. We had a kid sing his entire speech, a kid hold up some kind of fossil skeleton for like 10 minutes a la Lion King while another kid talked about the fossil and how we are somehow all fossils, or we're all parts of a fossil, or we're all bones, or something like that (???), and people taking selfies as they spoke. It was a different kind of graduation. Is this what high schoolers do now? I feel like I haven't been out of high school in too long but obviously, things have changed. :P


And now, more pictures!



I'm a master photographer, everyone can just admit it now



2. P's Award

P got the Hope of America award, an award given to a boy and a girl from each sixth-grade class. To get it, she had to be exemplary in all sorts of ways, ie academically, socially, extra-curricularly (?). She had told me lots of times before that she hoped that she got it and that she'd been working really hard to be friends with everybody and have good grades so she could get it, and she did! We are all so proud of her.


3. N's Endowments

N took out her endowments the day after R's graduation. While this made for a busy weekend (and a weekend where absolutely none of my mom's grad school homework got done), it was a good one. She chose the Draper temple, because Mt Timp was closed (lame). But, it's always really special for me to see people take out their endowments. In some ways I'm grateful I got married/endowed before some of my friends so I can go celebrate with them in the temple. It's such a special experience. Some of N's friends came to see her go through as well so they're the randoms in the pictures. It was such a special day!




4. Sporting Endeavors

But the day wasn't over yet! P had her last soccer game of the season! That we had to watch while being rained on. But, no lightning, so play on! It was still great. She's getting so fun to watch. Although I miss the days of kiddie soccer, when her team consisted of like ten little four-year-olds and they wandered around in a huge pack following the ball. That was awesome. But this is awesome too, just in a slightly less hilarious way.




So these are all the pictures I got. I know what you're all thinking - How are we so goshdarn photogenic? Some mysteries we will just never understand.


-K

Comments