Spring Break, Day 2

Well, day 2 on the lonely planet, aka a university on Spring Break. Although upon further research, turns out I do get a Spring Break! Of one day! But hey, it's a break nonetheless! And to be completely honest, I kind of wish I didn't have it. I'd rather have the cash than a day off. I mean, what am I going to do? C has school all day, guess I'll crochet a freaking blanket or something. I already made cinnamon rolls this month. Maybe I'll try my hand at archery or something. Got to get some new hobbies.

Also, in the never-ending saga of tax problems, had a tax preparer call today and tell me I was going to be responsible if the university got fined for sending out incorrect 1098-Ts. Bro. Broooooo. I am not in charge. I am merely the puppet that answers the phones. And if I'm lucky, have some downtime to eat a Pop-Tart. But if somebody wants my help with one more stupid tax thing...


In other news, yesterday I built a bookshelf and a table. That's right, me! With the help of Mom, Dad, and R, of course. We built a bookshelf! From some pieces of wood and some picture-instructions and five million types of screws, we did it! It took forever but it looks awesome in the new house. I'm proud of us. But building that thing was an experience. Back when we were first married, we decided to go get ourselves a dresser since we didn't have one, so to Ikea we went. C built our dresser and our coffee table while I supported by watching and holding screws. Unlike then, this time I was in the thick of it here. I was in charge of screw inventory here as well, but I also was screwing things in and putting dowels in things and holding things and just doing things with... things. While I like building things and the smell of wood, I have decided I'm much better at building Legos.

I have decided to read a conference talk a day, if I can, at work. Since this past conference's ones aren't printed yet, I've been reading old devotionals from BYU in my downtime. Today's was the extremely popular "Remember Lot's Wife" from Jeffrey R. Holland on January 13, 2009. My favorite part of this one is this quote. A little long, but somewhat whimsical and completely worth the read. 
"Let people repent. Let people grow. Believe that people can change and improve. Is that faith? Yes! Is that hope? Yes! Is it charity? Yes! Above all, it is charity, the pure love of Christ. If something is buried in the past, leave it buried. Don’t keep going back with your little sand pail and beach shovel to dig it up, wave it around, and then throw it at someone, saying, “Hey! Do you remember this?” Splat! Well, guess what? That is probably going to result in some ugly morsel being dug up out of your landfill with the reply, “Yeah, I remember it. Do you remember this?” Splat. And soon enough everyone comes out of that exchange dirty and muddy and unhappy and hurt, when what God, our Father in Heaven, pleads for is cleanliness and kindness and happiness and healing."
This quote, besides providing an awesome visual (Elder Holland waving something, I picture a nasty-looking muddy glob of seaweed, and then throwing it at someone? Come on. You can't tell me you didn't smile), this quote reminded me that no matter how much "dirt" we may have on someone, or how crappy we feel they are, or how much you wish they would just be different, we can't dwell on people's pasts. Do we want them digging around in our "landfill", as Elder Holland asks? No way, I don't want anyone looking around in my past for problems or bad things I've done, so I'm trying not to do that to other people. There isn't any reason to bring up bad memories from the past when people are trying their best to move on. Right? Right.

-K

Comments