Post-Marriage General Update #1: Adjustments

Hey everyone! I, KM, is now KMO! I mean, it's not like on my driver's license or anything, but we have a marriage license that proves it and everything! It's unreal.... When you get married, everything changes, and yet nothing changes at the same time. I just live with my best friend now, instead of with four of my good friends, and I won't lie, it gets a little lonely sometimes. C has a full-time job with a moving company so he's gone most of the day, and I'm currently looking for a job. It's hard to be alone all day. I never thought I'd miss having a job but I miss the social interactions. Oh, and a reason to wear real pants. I swear, I live in basketball shorts these days, and it doesn't help that C owns about ten pairs of them, so I never run out of them. It's reached a bad point. My mom commented the other day to C that "you have to be careful that K doesn't let herself go... I haven't seen her in real pants in a few weeks..."

*sigh* It's probably in everyone's best interests for me to get a job soon. At least I'll be out of the house and not talking to Bernard all the time. Although he loves the extra interaction....at least, I think he does...

Anyway, here are some updates into some various aspects of my life:

Name
Like I've said before, KM is now KMO. And honestly, I don't even recognize my last name. If someone were to call out my new last name in public I would seriously just walk away without even thinking. I hope that goes away eventually, I can just see myself sitting at a doctor's office while they call my name like twenty times and I'm just sitting there playing Frozen Free Fall on my phone. (Note: do not play that game. You will become addicted and will feel your self-worth corresponding to the amount of levels you beat that day. Just...abort. Abort!)

Living Situation
So now I live with just a guy, there's some stuff to get used to. There's the obvious "why is there a second toothbrush on my bathroom sink", "why are all our tortilla chips gone", "I have to share my closet?!", "why is there marching band paraphernalia all around", and other various thoughts. So there's that. I've also had to unpack our apartment and put everything in cupboards and dressers and shelves and all that jazz, which is half okay and half terrifying because I've had way too many run-ins with spiders hiding in clothes that I'm trying to put away. I think they crawled in when they were on the floor and just never left, and now I have to kill them. Whee. Also, C has christened the new apartment "Mo", and we have a pet snail that lives outside we have named "Snelmo". We only see him at night, but he's pretty big. Also, I'm fairly certain the people that lived here before us never swept/mopped their kitchen floor. Ever. So the first time I did it, I used three whole Swiffer wipes to wipe down like... 20 square feet of linoleum? Maybe? It was disgusting. But hey, it looks a lot better now. And the floor isn't as grey as we thought... The yellow is definitely more pronounced now. Yay...?

Food
Okay. You guys who know me, you know I don't really have that cooking talent. My roommates used to joke that if I ever went on that TV show Chopped, I would be the one that made rice for every round and just dumped the secret ingredients on top. And the saddest part is, it's not even a lie. So far I have attempted to make rice, taco soup, beef stew, crock pot chicken, rice, macaroni and cheese, biscuits (frozen), and french toast. I would say they were all edible, even if they didn't look so great. C's been great about everything, always encouraging me to try new recipes and such. But you're looking at the girl who is guilty of eating popcorn for dinner, so it's been an adjustment.

Social Life
So I still go over to my roommates' apartment all the time, they're basically my social life right now. Which is awesome, because stuff is always happening over there, usually in dramatic fashion. Lots of love tumult going on over there at the moment, so it's fun to go and see what everybody's up to. Just went over there tonight for a book club where the author (Jenni FREAKING James) actually came and talked to us about her life and how she wrote her books, which was really insightful. C has been telling me for months to take my writing to the next level, and sometimes, after nights like this, I actually feel like I can do it. But the question is, what would I write? Romantic teen fiction? Nonfiction? Sonnets? Limericks? There's a whole world of possibilities out there.

I can't think of any other "important" updates right now, so have a wedding picture!

Ready to take on the world together
-K

Comments